Friday 15 June 2012

Why your midlife crisis rocks

Ah, the midlife crisis. Always entertaining. 

But necessary. And crucial. In my mind, the midlife crises is that moment in your life when you grow a brain. A real brain. Up until the point of the midlife crisis, you have been doing what you thought you should. You have been living the life of the brain-dead. You have been pleasing everyone but yourself.

Now it is your turn. It is time to show your natural colours. To show the world who you really are, what you are made of and how you see yourself. 

This can be either good or bad. 

In my case, it was good. My midlife crises happened when I was 33. And single. And thin. And cruel. A nasty piece of work I was. Deeply unhappy, I hated everything and everyone. I had a temper. A tongue. And logic. Together they made people cry continuously. 

And then it hit me. I wasn't happy making other people unhappy. So I made the conscious decision to change. Within a week my life turned around. I met my darling wife, fell in love, shunted everything that didn't contribute to my happiness and figured out who I was. 

Some people get struck with their midlife crisis at 42. They get tattoos, decide to become what they've always wanted to be and go at it alone. This is fine. They have shown us their true colours. This is who they are and what they want out of life. The only sad part is that it took them this long to grow a brain. Because almost always they end up hurting someone. This is not good. 

What is good, Rilette, is that they are out of your life. They have taken their time to be happy, at your expense, but out they go. Let them be happy. Spare no other thought for them. And move forward. Just be glad there are no children involved. Because that is collateral damage. 

Having said that, it has come to my attention that this blog is an embarrassment. So this is the last post. It was fun while it lasted. But it is time to act like a grownup and get on with life. 

Cheers.  


No comments:

Post a Comment